BEFORE YOUR SPRINT TRIATHLON
The objective of this preparation period is to ensure that your energy and water reserves are
fully replenished before you start your triathlon.
- D-3: increase your carbohydrate intake by taking Maltodextrin (1 to 2 cans
a day). Increase your water intake. Reduce your consumption of raw vegetables, especially
if you have delicate intestines.
- The day before: your evening meal should contain easily digestible carbohydrates that
are low in fibre. E.g.: a soup of seasonal vegetables, chicken breast, pasta
(serve with 1 soup spoon of oil and a little turmeric. Turmeric works an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory thanks to its main pigment: curcumin. In other words, this spice can be really useful for athletes.), stewed fruit.
- 3 hours before: your breakfast must replenish your energy reserves after the night's fast and
re-establish the right hydration balance. You should choose easily digestible foods. E.g.: Water or fruit
juice, energy cake or energy cream, stewed fruit.
- Standby rations: the aim of this period is to keep blood sugar at an optimal level and keep
hydrated while avoiding postprandial hypoglycaemia. The pre-race drink
is ideal for this period.
DURING YOUR SPRINT TRIATHLON
During your triathlon, the objective is to prevent dehydration and the total
exhaustion of energy reserves. The most important nutrients during your race are
water, carbohydrates and sodium.
- Transition 1: consume a short-distance energy gel to recover from the
swimming and get off to a flying start on the bike.
- Cycling: your priority should be hydration. Start drinking as soon as possible. ISO is the
ideal drink since it provides a good dose of liquid and carbohydrates, as well as a
decent quantity of sodium.
- Transition 2: drink a bottle of water to keep hydrated and you will also be able to
rinse out your mouth before the run.
- Running: make sure you don't miss any water stations, so you can stay
fully hydrated. This will help you maintain your running pace. Also
take a short-distance energy gel which you can take if you start to feel tired.
RECOVERING AFTER A SPRINT TRIATHLON.
You have completed your triathlon and you should feel proud. However, don't forget to recover if
you want to start training quickly again, because your body will certainly be
tired. It is important for recovery to start as soon as the effort is over.
- 500ml of recovery drink together with 1 after-sport protein bar
It is important for triathletes to identify the quantities and nature of the foodstuffs they need to consume during races. The strategy you adopt must be well-established and all the products you use must be tested during training sessions to prevent any digestion difficulties during the race.