During the fasting period, your body's metabolic rate slows down, resulting in an overall energy decrease. Hence, your body compensates by absorbing nutrients more effectively when you break your fast.
But don't fret – having a well-planned diet and exercising at the right time will help you keep on track of your weight goals.
Here are 3 simple tips you can follow to maintain/lose weight this Ramadan 2022!
Knowing that you will not be drinking water during daylight, it is very important for you to hydrate yourself from the time you break fast till you start fasting again.
It's best to consume at least 2L of water, which can be up to 8 glasses.
Try to consciously plan to hydrate as such:
- 2 glasses while you are breaking fast
- 4 glasses in between Iftar and Suhoor (the meal before the fast)
- 2 glasses at Suhoor
PRO-TIP: Try avoiding caffeinated drinks such as coffee or black tea as they are dehydrating!
2. HAVE A BALANCED AND LIGHT IFTAR!
It is very important to learn about what you eat when you break your fast.
PRO-TIPS FOR NUTRITION DURING FASTING:
- Replace refined carbohydrates with wholemeal products, as wholemeal products are high in fibre and they take a longer time to get absorbed by your body
- Break your fast with dates (as they have enough sugar and are a quick source of energy), followed by a small serving of soup (avoid cream-based ones that are high in fat and calories) or a small portion of vegetable salad, then have your main course an hour or two after Iftar
- Avoid overeating during Iftar
- Avoid consuming processed sugars and processed food
- Avoid eating too quickly and make sure you chew your food thoroughly
- Have 1-2 dates followed by a protein shake if you are keen to work out after Iftar
- Consume less salt (especially during Suhoor) as it will make you feel thirsty
- DO NOT skip Suhoor and add more protein and healthy fats like olive oil, almonds, mixed nuts, nut spread, avocados, egg, etc
3. STAY ACTIVE!
Try to stay active and target at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.
Here are 4 suggestions on when you can work out:
1. 90 minutes before sunset
A very light workout at the cooler part of the day, so that you can get the maximum benefit of burning calories on an empty stomach.
You may do low-intensity workouts with low reps and weights and focus more on stretching and relaxing like Yoga and Pilates. Scroll to the bottom of this article to read some of our recommended exercises.
2. After your evening meal
If you prefer to work out on high repetitions with heavier weights after Iftar, this is the time that you will be fueled enough to do so.
Try avoiding any high-intensity cardio workouts. Don't forget to keep hydrated while training.
3. Between 11pm and 2am
If you prefer to stay up late at night, the best time to work out can be between 11pm and 2am, as food has had time to settle down and your body has been fully fuelled.
It is also cooler than daytime! Choose any type of workout you love to do during this period, from low-intensity exercises like brisk walking and slow jogging to high-intensity ones like HIIT, combinations weights, body weights and functional movements.
Now that you've read the tips and tricks on how to maintain or lose weight during Ramadan, I wish you all a very happy, active and healthy Ramadan 2022 and Ramadan Kareem!